Saturday, January 21, 2017

21.It's a tornado! It's a hurricane! No! It's....just my children.

I woke up this morning to the sound of crashing and my children laughing. It was the bad laughter. The "oh we just did something bad and I hope mom doesn't notice" laughter. The laughter that makes you want to cry because it's going to be awful to confront laughter. But, being the loving wife I am, I let my husband stay asleep a little longer and went to confront the bad laughter. 
Have you ever seen a toddler bed in a basketball hoop? It shouldn't be possible, right? It should be something that you might maybe possibly see after an EF5 tornado has come through and completely demolished your hometown, right? Well, call me Jo Harding, because that's what I saw. 
Somehow my two- and four-year-olds managed to pick up two-year-old's bright red Lightning McQueen bed, turn it upside down, and put it in the four-foot-high basketball hoop. That's more than six inches above their heads, people. And that's just the bottom of the bed. The rest of it they somehow managed to balance above that, across the hoop's backboard with its little red feet sticking up in the air like a cartwheeling Papa Smurf. And it stayed!! 
I'm fairly certain that if I tried to accomplish this particular balancing act, I would fail miserably. 
The rest of the room was less gravity-defying but definitely indicative of the indoor natural disaster that was my children this morning. Both mattresses were out of their frames, leaning against each other like a toddler teepee. The laundry basket  (which is big enough that both kids can be in it at the same time) was laying across the two-year-old's dresser. A pillowcase hung from the ceiling fan. Toys....I don't want to talk about the toys. Clothing (dirty? Clean? I don't know) was everywhere. There were at least four picture books on the four-year-old's bed frame. All of her blankets were hanging on the sides of her bed. The train table was on its side, with all the drawers hanging open and empty. 
So what did I do? 
I told them to clean up, I shut the door, and I walked downstairs. 
Breakfast this morning was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment