Saturday, January 14, 2017

14. Perspective

Perspective is important.  For instance, today my four year old wanted a purple backpack. My two year old wanted to go to the store with Daddy. My five month old wanted to be held. These all seem like good things, or at least not bad things. But we don't always want what's best for us, and we can't always see why. Sometimes we get what we want and sometimes someone stops us from getting those things. We get mad. But it's important to try to see beyond ourselves. 
I said no to Janie and made her put the purple backpack back. She got mad at me until I explained to her that she had taken it from a store without paying and that hurt other people. Once she knew that (it was a poorly marked gift shop at a birthday party), she was fine with my decision.
I said yes to Thomas. But because the birthday party was during naptime he was tired. Instead of staying home and napping, he chose to go to the store with Daddy and fell asleep in the shopping cart. He woke up with a sore neck.
I said no to Berto. He screamed and screamed and screamed at me, but I didn't pick him up because I was driving and he needed to be safely strapped in to his car seat. Eventually he fell asleep and was happy to be held when we got home.
So if someone says no to you today, instead of getting huffy and impatient, try asking (calmly!) why and get their perspective. You might be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment