Sunday, January 15, 2017

15. I am Jared

I am Jared.

I looked warily over my shoulder. Was I being followed? The tension in this market was rising. So far, the curse had not yet reached our corner of town, but no one knew for sure when it would hit. I didn't know how much time we had left before we lost our language too, but I knew it couldn't be long. 
My hand slid inside my robe, almost without thought, checking again to make sure my purse was secure. There had been so many lefts lately. If you couldn't communicate, you couldn't barter. And if you couldn't barter... well, we had been lucky so far.
I glanced over my shoulder again and spotted the guard. Pulling my hood closer around my face, I busied myself with the array of dates and nuts at the stand next to me, pretending to puzzle over their quality, but my attention was fixed elsewhere. I kept the guards in view, ready to run if necessary. 
I couldn't keep this up much longer. The higher the tower climbed, the further the curse spread; and the further the curse spread, the angrier the people became. If only they would listen. If only they would stop building it and repent. Mo said the curse was intended to remind them of their duties to God, but it only seems to be pushing them further away. 
The guards dawdled far too long for my comfort. I needed to move. I shook my head sadly at the vendor and he scowled at me. I understood, but I couldn't help him. 
I kept to the shadows as much as possible, desperately trying not to be seen, hoping they would move on. They had killed Shadar yesterday. I couldn't lead them back to Mo. I trembled at the thought of what would happen if they found him. Not only would I lose my brother, but we would lose our guide. Our vessels would remain unfinished, and we would be unable to escape this tower of evil. That is, if they didn't kill all of us for following him. I would have to speak to Mo about bringing Shadar's family with us. 
The guards drew close to me once again and I turned away. The alley was near, but I couldn't take it if they were watching. I couldn't risk all of our lives. I had a duty as the patriarch of our small community to protect them. If it came down to it, I knew I would let these guards take me to the square and stone me before I would give up our location. It was a miracle they hadn't found us yet. Truly, God protected us. But even with His protection, I needed to be careful. Shadar had been a prophet but God had let them capture him. I wasn't a prophet, but but I was Mo's patriarch and brother. The Tower Masters were desperate to silence God's followers. Silence us, or punish us. It was as if they knew the curse was their fault, but they refused to accept the punishment. As if silencing my brother's cries would still God's hand. They refused to listen.
It seemed an eternity before the guards passed me and rounded the corner out of sight. Only then did I release my breath. Still wary, I edged cautiously around olive barrels to be sure they had moved on. Once I had confirmed I was not their target, I snaked through the bustling crowd toward my escape.  
I entered the small linen shop. The colors were astounding, as always. Hava created masterpieces. She was gifted, and her customers knew it. When I entered, Hava was busy with a young woman and what looked to be her mother. She glanced up at me and gave me a quick nod, subtle enough that the women didn't even notice. I picked my way quietly around the many piles of vibrant materials and into her stock room. The walls between us muted the sounds around me and I breathed deeply, feeling more secure than I had in the nine days since I'd left our  hidden seaside community. Too much had happened. Shadar's death was another in a growing string of violence. The people were scared and losing control. If the curse kept spreading at its current rate, the whole city would be in turmoil in less than three moons. I prayed the vessels were almost finished. We needed to leave, and soon.
I heard Hava's laugh and looked up to see her waving merrily. Her smile looked genuine, but as soon as she slid the thick curtain over the entrance to my refuge, her whole body seemed to wilt. 
"Shadar?" She spoke in barely more than a whisper, and I answered with a silent nod. "Oh, Jared, I am so sorry. I had hoped it was just a rumor." A tear ran down her weathered cheek but she didn't bother to brush it away. "What will you do now?"
"I have to return to Mo, tonight, Hava," I said quietly, my voice low and hoarse. "We cannot stay much longer."
Hava nodded and beckoned me to follow. She led me up the stairs to her small home. Three of her granddaughters played on the floor while the eldest prepared the evening meal. "Naomi, a loaf, please," she addressed the eldest, who quickly and quietly did her bidding." Hava thanked her before leading me to a pile of furs. "Sleep," she commanded me. "You have a long journey tonight."
"Thank you, Hava." As she turned to go, I put my hand to her small, frail shoulder. "Come with me, Hava, please. All of you."
She shook her head sadly. "We cannot. I am too old for the journey."
"I will carry you," I offered.
A small smile played across her ancient face, creating even more wrinkles. She was beautiful. "I would slow you down and bring danger to you and your loved ones. I cannot do that to you."
"And I cannot leave you here. Staying is a danger for you and the girls. If they ever found out how you have helped us..." the sentence hung in the air, heavy with the fear it brought. I could not finish. "Please, Hava. For the girls. I don't think I will be able to come back again."
"Sleep," she commanded and walked away. As I lay my head down, I heard the whispers of conversation. I cracked an eye open and tried to focus on the words Naomi spoke to her grandmother, but my body would not obey my thoughts. My eyes closed and I immediately feel into a deep, comfortable sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment