Wednesday, February 25, 2015

56. Gianette

They have selected me to wed Prince Edmond. There is no surprise. I am his most beautiful companion. Of course would choose me. They have been putting us together for years. As children we played together. He was never much fun. He always wanted to get dirty and play with little swamp creatures or play war with my brothers. I guess that part wasn't so bad. They would joust and fight with swords or maces. Of course, it was always sticks when we were very young. But I was always the prize. The fair princess whose hand they were dueling for. And I make a very good princess. I did then and I will now, as soon as they set the date for our wedding. I've heard there is some debate about that, but I know it will get settled. And soon. I am sure Prince Edmond is anxious for me to become his wife. Who wouldn't be? Just look at me. I am perfection. Who else could compare to me? Certainly not Lady Faye or Lady Alice. They are like little candles compared to the glorious beauty of the sun. I am the sun, in this picture. Radiant. Beaming. Heavenly. Everyone I meet tells me so. They are all struck dumb by me. It is a great power I carry. It's no wonder they chose to match me with a prince. No one else is worthy of my beauty. And I will become the most beautiful princess there has ever been. Even the queen was not as beautiful as me when she was only a princess. She wasn't very beautiful at all, really. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they set her to be betrothed to the king. She is so plain. She must have had a great dowry. My dowry will be large enough, but hers must have been unimaginably large to make up for her face. I wonder what Prince Edmond thinks of his mother's plainness. He must be quite embarrassed. I suppose he gets his looks from his father. And what looks he has. He is not the most handsome man I've met, but he is certainly the richest most powerful. Just look at these balls he has thrown! So much food and music and light! Even my father would be in awe of this place. It is a wonderful sight. And tonight is to be the third night in a row. I think these balls are to announce our engagement. Sometime tonight they will finalize our betrothal and I will be announced as the future princess and queen. That must be why Prince Edmond has kept away. He doesn't want to give away the surprise. Well, I will act surprised when it happens. I will clap my hands and cry out with joy! Perhaps I shall faint. Men love it when girls faint. Yes, tonight is about me. And I will be beyond glorious. I will stun the crowd with my beauty. I will be the envy of everyone at the ball. And they shall see what a queen I will make. The ball begins! I am coming, my subjects. Behold, your queen!

No comments:

Post a Comment