Thursday, February 5, 2015

36. Bath time troubles

Three-year-old Jane, and eight-month-old Thomas took a bath together this morning. After a few attempts to chase his rubber ducky across the tub, Thomas was removed. I took him into his bedroom to diaper and dress him. He wanted to play with his toys, and Jane was happily splashing and chatting with the ducks in the tub, so I sat on the floor of Thomas's room and let him play. 
Jane loves bath time and will often play for over an hour if I allow it. I kept the doors between us open so we could talk to each other or I could hear if anything terrible were happening. 
About five minutes after I sat down with Thomas, Jane tells me that all of her bubbles are gone. Weird. I didn't put any bubbles in her bath. I suppose she means the bubbles that were left over from Thomas' scrubbing before I took him out. "Okay." I tell her. Two minutes later she tells me she's all done. Alright. 
As I disentangle myself from the limbs of the semi-standing Thomas, I see Jane. Dripping wet. Butt naked. In the hallway. Ah! I run to herd her back into the bathroom before she gets water everywhere. The faint slime of unrinsed soap greets my fingers as I steer her by the shoulders back into the bathroom. Strange. I guess she decided to wash herself. Then I look in the bathtub. More tiny bubbles than should have been were present. That's when I notice the bottle of baby shampoo. The giant one we opened last week. 
Empty.
I put my hand in the water. Yup. Totally saturated with baby body wash. Way to go, three-year-old. You won this round. 

No comments:

Post a Comment