Monday, August 31, 2015

243. Flu Shots

"Do you want a flu shot?" I asked my daughter slyly.
"Yeah!" She squealed with great delight, and jumped excitedly. 

"I guess we'll get that flu shot now and spare another trip. 
Why not when she's excited?" I said, fixing her clip.

The nurse retrieved two flu shots, one for Thomas; One for Jane.
Jane bounced around like fire was going through her brain.

"I'm getting a shot!" She sang and danced. "I'm going to get a band-aid! 
Oh! My skirt!" For jumping dropped it. The darling thing was hand-made.

The nurse returned and asked my Jane when she wanted to go.
"Thomas first or Janey first? Come on. Up you go."

"Janey first! And I'll be brave! See, Thomas, it's okay!"
She settled down upon the bench and quietly she lay.

Thomas watched as Janey took her shot without a cry. 
She just said "ouch" and looked at me, a smile in her eye.

"I did it, Tom! I didn't cry! I'm a big girl now!
Here! Your turn. You can do it! I will show you how."

Then Thomas lay upon the bench and Janey held his hand.
She told him he would be alright. She knew he'd understand.

The shot was given. A little whine emerged from Tommy's throat.
But then he looked at Janey in her little purple coat.

He stopped his cry before it started. He gulped back every fear,
Because he knew his sister was standing very near.

The shots were through. Both yelled with joy! The hardest part was done.
Then all that's left was ice cream, which Jane and Thomas fairly won.


No comments:

Post a Comment