Thursday, May 28, 2015

148. The Stepmother

Cinderella wants to go to the ball. Of course I can't allow it, but I can't refuse her wish outright. The invitation was clear. Her name, there above even my own. I cannot overrule the prince's decree. But she must not leave the estate. No, it would ruin everything. If she goes, she is sure to tell of her servitude. I cannot risk that. She may be a worthless brat, but she is still mistress of this estate by law. So long as I live I will not let her take my place. 
She doesn't know, but she is one of the few. Sir Eccles was a monster. He tricked me out of what is rightfully mine. This land should be mine. This house should be mine. But no, he had to go and settle it all on his brat. And publicize it. The shame of it when the court announced that girl's name as his heir instead of mine. I flush even now at the thought of it. I was mortified. And then to find out I don't even follow on the event of her death -- what a terrible trick to play on me. 
So now I must keep up this pretense. The girl is a hermit, they think. She is mute and shy. Twice yearly they come to see that she still lives. They must come in the dead of night, I insist, so as not to send her into a fit. Oh, the trouble those visits cause. She cannot know, for she would speak and all would be lost. 
The drug is powerful. It does the work. Denise always complains that she finds cinders in her room for days afterward. But it is worth it to keep our position hear. 
But how do I keep her from the ball?

No comments:

Post a Comment