Tuesday, May 26, 2015

146. The Maid

No one notices you when you are a servant. You are only there to do what the Royals find beneath them. That is no matter. They do not see what they do not want to see. And they do not want to see us. So we are invisible. But we are not blind.
I see Lady Gianette preparing for her betrothal. I see how she spends extra time at her mirror when Prince Edmond will be present. I see how she regards herself as the second lady of the palace. She thinks only the queen is above her.
She does not see what she does not want to see. She does not see the prince is indifferent to her. She does not see that he searches for another. She does not see that he wants more than her pretty gowns and her painted face. She does not see what this ball really was. And she does not see that he has found another to replace her.
But she will see it. They will not let her go blindly on.
The queen received the message today. "I have found her" was all the page said, but it was all the queen needed to hear. All the maids needed to hear. All I needed to hear. Lady Gianette will lose her place. I pity her. She knows nothing but her expectation to be queen. and now she will lose that. No doubt she will find some other suitor who will gladly wed her. Perhaps she will move on quickly.
Perhaps she will not. But this is Lady Gianette so she will.
She will not be blind for long.
I only hope she does not lay ruin for the new princess. And I hope that the princess will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment