Wednesday, May 6, 2015

126. Cairos

The mother came to my home on the seventh day to fetch little Denise. Seven days and she sent no word, no messenger, no concern. She knew her child was ill. Ella sent word after her collapse. Three days later when her mother had still not come, we moved Denise to my home where my wife and I could better care for her. 
Then on the seventh day, she simply came and expected her daughter to go home with her. Jenny refused her entrance at first, but it is not our place to keep a child from her mother. She came in with all her bustling fabrics and clinking jewels and demanded to see her daughter. I led her through to where Denise lay, still weak from her ordeal. I expected joy or excitement and maybe a little anger. 
There was nothing. 
Denise said nothing to her mother. Not a word. Not a glance. She just looked out the window, unmoving. The mother yelled. She screamed. She coaxed. She bribed. But Denise said nothing. The mother stayed less than an hour and then she was gone. And she never came back.

No comments:

Post a Comment