Friday, April 10, 2015

100. The Prince - A Scientific Study

Ella. I finally had a name. It had to be her. I knew that voice. The gentle soft stir in the wind. It must be her. And if her father taught her about science, why not history, diplomacy, politics? It made so much sense. Could Alfred get her to say more? I had to know for sure before I revealed myself. 
One of them screamed and the Viscount called for a servant. I couldn't help myself any longer. I peered through the small crack between the door and the wall. Someone was on the floor. I could not simply stand by and watch if someone needed help.
I came around the door and joined Alfred's side. He stood like a statue, rooted to the spot, staring down at the commotion. Bellamy and the maid fussed over one of the sisters. The other was still screaming. I knelt by the maid and asked what I could do. My heart skipped a beat when she looked up at me. I knew those eyes. It had to be her.
Then she spoke. "She's hot. Too hot. We need to cool her down. I need water and clothes to wet her brow. And I need to loosen her clothes to help her breathe. Sir John, can you help me turn her?"
I remembered a basin and a pitcher in the side parlor. As I rose to fetch them she called, "Your Highness." I turned back to her. "Could you send someone for Cairos? He has a cottage by the river, near The Stag's Horn Inn." Cairos. The physician who had a cure to our plague. So it was her. "I will, Miss."
"Ella," she supplied.
"Ella." 

No comments:

Post a Comment