Saturday, March 21, 2015

84. Accursed

Curses come in all forms. They come from many sources. And a single curse affects more than just the Accursed.
I know this better than most. I'm am an Accursed. 
You see, I didn't know he was a genie when he first spoke to me. I should have seen it, I know, but when you're caught up in the moment and as frustrated as I was when he showed up, you just don't think straight. Sure, I'd heard all the stories about genies appearing when you rubbed oil lamps, but I didn't think pulling the lamp out of a bog counted as rubbing it. And he looked nothing like what I had ever imagined a genie would look like. He just looked like a regular boy. 
I didn't really think much about how he got there. I was upset and figured I just hadn't heard him approach. And we get caravans passing through the village all the time, so I just assumed he was the son of one of the merchants. 
He just sat down next to me and held my hand and let me cry on his shoulder. He didn't scold. He didn't tell me I should keep my emotions to myself. He didn't laugh at me. He just let me cry.
When I had cried myself out we talked. He asked me why I was so upset. I told him. My brother and sister were the source of my troubles. There was always something for them to tease me about or some favor for them to deny me. This time they had found out I had a suitor.  Instead of being happy for me or at least glad that they might finally be rid of me, they turned against me. Maeri was jealous, I suppose, because I am younger than her and yet I got the first marriage proposal. For Jarom I think it was just spite. So they tittered and tormented and tortured and teased.
Now I have no suitor and I have no escape from them than this oasis where my genie found me. So I ran here to get away from them. But they followed me and listened as I cried to him. Then they jumped out and cackled and scorned as they always do.
"You twit!" They called. "You whining ninny! He would have seen your worthlessness in his own time anyway. He would have left you to rot with your arms full of brats just like you." And maybe he would have. But at least I would have been away from them.
If I had known he was a genie, perhaps I would have been more cautious. But then, I may have said something worse in my anger. I jumped to my feet and screamed "I hate you! I wish I could never hear you again! I wish I could never see you again! Leave me alone!" 
And, well, he was a genie.

No comments:

Post a Comment