Sunday, March 1, 2015

60. Falling

A few days ago I went rock climbing with my husband. I was having difficulty with the route I was taking, but I was near the top and I wanted to complete the route. My husband could tell I was struggling and suggested that I come down and try again later when I was a bit rested. But my pride got the better of me and I decided to keep going. I lunged for a hold just out of my reach, but I missed. Because I was overtired and positioned poorly, my feet slipped from under me and I fell. Because I had moved too far out of line with my pulley, I was swung around, banging into the climbing wall and several holds, and I became entangled with the belaying ropes near me. I was completely out of control as I fell. I grasped at the ropes around me but they didn't stop my fall. Fortunately, I had chosen to take the harness and automatic pulley system, since I'm not a huge fan of heights, but even so, I was falling faster than I wanted and I couldn't tell where I was headed or how to regain control. I just felt scared and lost. Just before I dropped to the ground, my husband stepped under me and caught me. He very calmly steadied me, untangled me from the belay ropes, and helped me calm down while he detached me from the pulley. Once he knew I was okay he led me to a place where I could sit down and collect myself before I decided to climb again.

When it happened all I could of was "gee, that was unpleasant," and "boy, I'll be feeling these bruises for a while," but as the weekend has gone on I've kept thinking back on it and I can't help but think how similar my experience was to every day life and the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

As we go through life, we are presented with challenges. Sometimes we just need to back off for a while or leave it altogether. Often, God sends the Holy Spirit to warn us that what we're doing isn't right. And because we're human and fallible and stubborn, we ignore those promptings. And then we get hurt. But Jesus Christ will always be there for us, no matter how stupid we are or how bad the mistake we make, he's there to catch us when we fall. He's there to keep us safe, loving and protecting us, slowing our descent as our mistake pulls us downward. He wants to help us recover. He's there to help us disentangle ourselves from the evil around us that could hurt us more. He sends the Holy Spirit to comfort us and guide us. And He's there when we're ready to come back to Him and try again. 
He suffered so that He could heal. He knows the pain that we feel. He knows the fear, the hurt, the sorrow, the worry. He died for us and was resurrected again so that one day we might live again. Through His Atoning sacrifice, we are able to be made clean again when we sin. When we turn to Him, humble and repentant, He is there to welcome us back. I am so grateful for my knowledge of my Savior and the Atonement He made for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment