Tuesday, November 21, 2017

325. “Don’t Drop Her” (May 4, 2015)

My little brother, Josh, has never been great with babies. He wasn't even two when Steeny was born, and she was the last child. He had no real experience. Jane was a novelty to him. The first grandchild of our parents. The first real baby he'd ever been allowed to hold.
That didn't stop his confidence, though. He threw her up over his shoulder and she gave a little three-month-old laugh. Steeny, mom, and I watched, enjoying the interaction. I wanted Jane to have an early memory with her uncle, so I took a video of the two of them playing together. 
Josh flipped her and spun a bit, putting on his "I'm the coolest dude" face. He was macho.
And then Jane drooled.
Teenage boys don't do well with drool. He shrieked a little and pulled Jane off his shoulder, trying to get away from the string of baby saliva. 
Amused at his concern (I had grown immune to the grossness that is drool) I jokingly told him not to drop her.
It wasn't even three seconds later that he did.
Lucky for Jane she was only a few inches off the ground when she twisted out of Josh's hands. 
Unluckily for Josh, we caught the whole thing on camera. It's been three years and he still won't hold another baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment