Wednesday, September 30, 2015

273. The King

I sit here, day after day, wondering if it will be my last. Will this be the last charge I order? Will this be the last dispute I settle? Will this be the last dinner? My last hunt? My last seal? My last wave? 
Will this be the last time I bid my daughters goodnight? They do not even know it may be. Should we tell them? But they are still young and innocent. They do not need the burden of worry. Edmond insists they would be better knowing, but there will be sorrow either way. Let them remember their last days with me as joyful ones. I do not want my memory to be of fear or guilt or pity. There is no reason to prolong their pain. 
Edmond will care for them. He will be a good and fair King and a loving head to this household. My daughters and wife will want for nothing. Yes, it is better this way.
And yet, I still awaken each morning, a little duller, a little slower. Soon I will have to give up my hunts and my rides into the villages. But for now, I will assure the safety and comfort of my people. I will do all I can while there is still breath in my bodies. And I will teach Edmond all that I can, so that he may lead with knowledge and confidence. 
I only hope he will find a queen to match my own. So much will burden him. He needs a strong companion to steady him and give him strength. There I can only guide him so far. The rest he must discover on his own. Let her be fair and wise. Let her be humble but sure. Let her be his match. 
Then, I will rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment