Thursday, April 9, 2015

99. Alfred - A Scientific Study

"Three more girls are on their way, Ed," I said, folding up the Duke's note. "Did your lady ever mention having a sister?"
Edmond didn't look away from the fire when he answered. "She mentioned only her mother. I suppose she could have sisters. I didn't mention Kate or Mary. Part of the problem of keeping your identity hidden is not being able to ask any questions that can be turned around on you. Why was I so foolish?" 
Not for the first time I answered, "You didn't know." It was all I could say anymore. We'd had the conversation a hundred times, it seemed. I'd never seen Edmond so dejected. He was always hopeful. Now he just seemed lost. "We'll find her."
He nodded absently. "We'll find her."
The door opened and the Viscount of Bellamy bounced through. "Is it true? Three from one house? By golly, this makes things interesting indeed. I wonder what their parents' feet are like. I don't suppose we could send someone to fetch them as well? No, no, of course not. I know. I'll focus on your problem, today, not mine. But it is most intriguing. I'm so glad you've allowed me to be part of this. I never would have thought of studying women's feet before. You've opened up so many questions for me. Have you noticed that they've all had blue eyes so far? No? I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but I am eager to see whether these three will follow that pattern. I can't really see how feet and eyes are related, can you?"
He waited expectantly for my answer, as if I actually knew what he was talking about. People never gave Bellamy enough credit. He was eccentric, yes, but he was really quite clever. Who else would even think to compare the ladies' eye color when conducting a study on feet? I certainly hadn't. "No, sir," I answered. "I can't see the relation there."
"No matter. We'll see soon enough. And there's plenty of time to make a new study of it if need be. Ah, Your Highness, here they come. Would you like to take a look? I don't think they would be able to see you from down there. Oh they are lovely ladies."
"No, thank you," said Edmond, rising from his seat at last. "It wouldn't help. Time to go into hiding again." 
I nodded to the Viscount and followed Edmond once again into our little side room, leaving the door ajar. I didn't bother trying to fill the silence. Edmond was too involved in his own thoughts to pay attention to me. But I didn't mind. I knew it was rudeness to me. He just wanted to find his love.
The door to the outer room opened and I could hear the rustle of skirts before Bellamy began his interview. "My ladies, welcome to my home. I am Sir John Porpington, Viscount of Bellamy. I am so pleased that you are so willing to participate in my study. Please, for my records, what may I call you?"
An overly sweet voice answered "Your Grace, I am Lady Muriel Fawcett, this is my sister, Lady Denise Fawcett. And that is our maid, Cinderella." Bellamy must have motioned for them to sit down, because the voice continued, "She can stand. Our maids do not sit with us, sir."
I crossed Lady Muriel off of my mental list. There was no way this woman was the same girl that had helped a page pick up a tray of minced meats he had dropped. I looked to Edmond for confirmation and he shook his head.
Bellamy responded. "We are all equal in science. Please, Cinderella, have a seat."
"Please, sir, my name is Ella." Edmond stood abruptly as the girl continued. "I know it is probably irrelevant to your study, but my father always told me that you have to be as accurate as possible with science." 
"Your father was a man of science, was he?"
"Yes, sir."
"Very well, Miss Ella. Thank you."
Edmond beckoned me to him and whispered in my ear. "Go out there. Talk to them. See if it's her. Go. Go. Go." He pushed me out the door before I could even respond.
"Uh, umm, sir," I stuttered, trying to come up with some excuse for my sudden arrival. I bowed, "Can I bring you anything, sir?" 
"No, thank you," Bellamy replied, confused.
"Are you sure, sir? Nothing at all I can do for you?" I tried to express my intent to join him without words and he seemed to catch my meaning.
"Actually, I could use you. Yes. As a contrast to these ladies. Come and join us." As I joined his side, he began the introductions. "This is Lady Muriel, Lady Denise, and Ella," he pointed them out as he said their names and I bowed to each in turn. 
"I see your blue-eyed theory is disrupted, sir," I tried to hide a smile at the Viscount's sudden turn of countenance. "Lady Muriel has some of the darkest eyes I've ever seen." She blushed and batted her eyes at me as if I had given her the greatest compliment in the world.
"Who is your friend?" She asked Bellamy coquettishly.
Not sure how he would answer, I introduced myself. "I am Denning, Sir John's valet." Her coy demeanor dropped instantly and she looked out the window. 
Her sister had the same dark and heavy features, though less haughtily carried. She looked about ready to faint. "A pleasure to meet you, Lady Denise," I waited politely for her to respond but she said nothing. She smiled a little but it looked more like a grimace than a greeting.
I turned my attention to the smallest of the three. It was she I had been sent out to assess, but she wasn't looking at me. She was focused entirely on her mistress. She was small and frail-looking. She had a similar build as Edmond's lady, but it was hard to be sure while she sat. And the dress she wore hung so loosely around her. I didn't know what answer to give Edmond when I returned to him. 
"Miss Ella. You look familiar. Have we..."
I started but was interrupted by her.
"Denise, are you alright? Do you feel well?" She put her hand to the lady's face. "You're burning up. Denise, can you hear me?" Lady Denise turned her face toward Ella, but before she could utter a word, her strength left her and she slipped to the floor, unconscious. 
Lady Muriel screamed. Ella dropped to the floor beside Lady Denise. The Viscount called for a servant. I just stood there.

No comments:

Post a Comment