Monday, April 13, 2015

103. The First Stepsister - A Scientific Study

What a grand house this is! The Viscount of Bellamy is surely very rich. I know he is a fool, but he must command power with  this kind of wealth. Perhaps he could be persuaded to fall in love with Denise. With the Viscount as our brother, my dear Edmond and I would be unstoppable! 
We are shown up to the Viscount's sitting room and he greets us with wide open arms and the silliest smile I've ever seen on a grown man. You would think we were his dearest relatives. He even bounces on his feet like a schoolboy. "My ladies, welcome to my home. I am Sir John Porpington, Viscount of Bellamy. I am so pleased that you are so willing to participate in my study. Please, for my records, what may I call you?"
Foolish or not, he is rich, and so I must treat him as if he were my superior. It falls me to do so to this childish man. "Your Grace, I am Lady Muriel Fawcett, this is my sister, Lady Denise Fawcett." He looks at me expectantly and I grit my teeth. What an insult to have to introduce that dirty rag of a girl. "And that is our maid, Cinderella." He leads us to a grouping of chairs, one lone and high-backed, facing three cushioned. He sits in the lone chair and indicates that we should take the others. How dare he expect me to sit with Cinderella! I am beginning to lose my patience with this fellow. "She can stand. Our maids do not sit with us, sir." I respond.
Without even looking at me he says "We are all equal in science. Please, Cinderella, have a seat."
The little runt smirks at me like she's better than the queen herself and sits down on the other side of Denise. If the Viscount weren't here I would slap that smile right off. For now I content myself with planning the punishment she'll receive when we return home. Perhaps Mother will finally turn her out of the house like she should have ages ago.
"Please, sir, my name is Ella." She  contradicts me. She hasn't done that in years. "I know it is probably irrelevant to your study, but my father always told me that you have to be as accurate as possible with science." Science? What does Ella the Cindermaid know about science? Or her father? He abandoned us ages ago.
"Your father was a man of science, was he?" the Viscount asks her. He seems to have completely forgotten that two ladies sit here in the room with him.
"Yes, sir."
"Very well, Miss Ella. Thank you." He writes something on a little notepad. I don't think he would do very well for Denise after all. He wouldn't appreciate the value of a wife of such high birth.
Our father was a baron before he died, after all. That is nothing to scoff at. We are no lowly commoners. 
What does this boring man have to do with Edmond? I had hoped to see him by now. As if summoned by my very thoughts, a young man appears before us . I hadn't realized there was another entrance to this room. He is not my Edmond, but he is mighty handsome. And so tall. I feel as if I recognize him, but I cannot say why.
"Sir," he presents himself very well. I wonder how it would feel if his strong ss were wrapped around my waist. I shiver at the thrilling thought. "Can I bring you anything, sir?" he asks. His voice is very heavenly.
"No, thank you," the Viscount answers. A pity. I could use someone pleasant to look at while I am kept from my dear Edmond. 
"Are you sure, sir? Nothing at all I can do for you?" he repeats. Surely he desires my company. I look so well today, what man could resist my pull? He flushes and I know his thoughts must mirror my own.
The Viscount sets down his stylus and looks the young man over. "Actually, I could use you." Blessed Viscount. "Yes. As a contrast to these ladies. Come and join us." He stands directly in front of me and I can feel my cheeks burn as the Viscount introduces us. "This is Lady Muriel, Lady Denise, and Ella." The young man bows to each of us in turn, even Ella. He is so well-mannered. I am glad to finally have a kindred spirit in this house.
"I see your blue-eyed theory is disrupted, sir," he says with a little flirtatious smile.   "Lady Muriel has some of the darkest eyes I've ever seen." I am sure my cheeks are scarlet. 
"Who is your friend?" I ask the Viscount in my most charming tone. I can be really quite alluring when I want.
He answered me himself. "I am Denning, Sir John's valet." A valet? How dare he flirt with me? What pretension. What falseness! I knew he was a scoundrel the minute he clumsily fell through that door. I will see to it that my dear Edmond heard of his audacity once we are wed. He will see to it my honor is not besmirched by this nobody.
Perhaps he has realized his place, for his attention is on little Cinders now. 
"Miss Ella. You look familiar." He says. Familiar? How could she be? She hasn't left our estate since that man abandoned us. And he's certainly never been to our home before.
Now she is fluttering all over Denise. My sister has no ambition in life. She does not understand the necessity to marry well. It will be her undoing some day.
What is the matter with her? She is probably still pouring about Mother helping her to get this far. I don't know what she is so unhappy about. She cut my foot, too. And yet I am here, ready to meet my prince.
Denise's eyelids flutter and she falls off her chair. She is unconscious. What will Edmond think? Denise will ruin us.
I scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment