Wednesday, April 1, 2015

91. Fooled

I came home from school that day and wanted to pass out. The day had been so hot and my teachers had been extra thorough in the homework department. I knew I had lots to do, but I just wanted to take a nap. I went into my bedroom and shut the door before I laid down. I was only there for about five minutes before my older brother Patrick came to find me.
"I'm thinking about making some Ramen and a smoothie. Want some? We can play a card game before I go to work?"
As much as I wanted sleep, food sounded good. And Patrick had been working a lot lately, saving up for college in just a few months. I knew our time was limited, so I gave up the nap and joined him in the kitchen.
Patrick was a smoothie master. Give him a kitchen full of food and spices and he could whip up anything. Cinnamon strawberry delight. Carmel apple kiwi awesomeness. Yummy yogurt surprise. He even once made a meat smoothie, which didn't work so well as a drink but made for a delicious chip dip. Today he had peaches, raspberries, and a whole slew of spices. 
"Why don't you pick a game and set the table," he suggested. "I'll be done with the food in just a minute."
"Okay," I said and I opened the cupboards. I reached for the stack of plastic smoothie cups. It didn't register to me until it was too late that the cups were lip-up. We were a lip-down family. So I was caught totally off-guard when I tipped the cups down and a barrage of water accosted me. I gasped and dropped the cups. To the floor. My hair, face and shoulders were dripping. 
Patrick laughed at me. "April Fool's! Patrick 1: Suzy 0."
"Very funny," I said. I tried to sound annoyed but it was hard to be stern when I was laughing. "At least I'm not hot  anymore." I dried out the cups and set them in the table. 
I went back to the cupboard to get the Ramen bowls. It's amazing how much water can fit into one of those. I was now drenched head to foot. Patrick was in stitches.
"Patrick 2: Suzy 0," I conceded. "How many more?" I asked. Patrick opened all the cupboards and showed me that every dish that could hold water, including the plates, were filled. It says what kind of a family we are that I left them like that for our three other siblings and our parents to find.
Patrick dished the food while I changed into dry clothes. I came back and set the game out. 
We sat down with our Ramen and smoothies and began play. I waited for Patrick to take the first bite. My guard was up and I figured if he had done anything gross with the food, he wouldn't eat it. He took the bite. Nothing. He took a sip. Nothing. I was safe. The ramen was as tasty as I expected. Salty, warm, goodness in a bowl. I played my turn and then took a sip of the smoothie. It was  divine. A rich, yogurty blend of peaches, raspberries, cream, and honey. I was in heaven. 
And then I was in hell.
Or, rather, my mouth felt like it held the fires of hell. Masked in and simultaneously aggravated by the fruity yogurt, was cayenne pepper.
Patrick just smirked. "Patrick 3: Suzy 0."

No comments:

Post a Comment