Wednesday, January 14, 2015

14. The Prince pt 3 -- The Second Ball

"Where did you go last night? I came back like I said I would but you weren't here? I looked for you the rest of the night but I couldn't find you."
Her head bowed as if in shame as she offered her apology. "I'm so sorry. I had to return home early. It couldn't be helped and I didn't know how to find you to say goodbye. 
He lifted her chin until he could see her eyes. Their color was beautiful and he wondered what other beauty lay behind the delicate mask she wore. "Then, you did not leave because I offended you in some way? You were not avoiding me ?"
She laughed lightly as she twirled away from him with her arms outstretched, taking in the night air and he thought she looked and sounded like a fairy must, though he had never met one. "No, of course not. I had a wonderful time last night. I only wish I had been able to stay longer." 
He followed her toward the balcony's edge. "Good," he said, "because I've been worrying about it all day. I've been wondering 'What did I say to displease her? Did I step on her toes? Did I slight her father? Did I have bad breath?'"
She laughed again at his playful concern and he mocked pain at her amusement. "Did I have vegetable stuck in my teeth? Did she not like the way my hair fell or the brass of my buttons?"
"Ah, you caught me. I am morally opposed to brass of any sort. Don't you know? You are sorely outdated in your fashion. Why, the King would never knowingly allow any of his subjects to wear brass buttons. They represent the tyranny of evil rulers. They're the stuff of dark times of the past. They are the theft of kings who have preyed on those weaker than them." She playfully toyed with the button on his starched cuff as she feigned displeasure.
He wondered at how much of what she said was truly jest and how much covered her real feelings. He asked casually, hoping he wouldn't give away his real intention, "do you believe King Rupert is like that? A tyrant and a thief?"
"Oh, not at all!" She quickly turned serious and he could see she meant what she said. "He is a wonderful leader. He listens to the people. He encourages learning among his subjects. He has kept us from war far longer than most kings would in his situation, not because it is costly but because he cares for his people! I have never met him, but my father did and he always talked about how kind and generous the king is. I only hope Prince Edmond will rule similarly."
Edmond smiled to himself as he fiddled with the brass button. He was used to hearing his father praised, but he wasn't used to hearing sincerity behind it. When people knew the were speaking to the heir to the throne, they became formal and told him only what they thought he wanted to hear. This girl was different. She didn't know and so her praise was honest, and therefore, to Edmond, more precious.
"Well then, these buttons will have to go," Edmond said. He ripped the button off and threw it over the balcony ledge as far as he could. 
He laughed heartily as her hands flew to her mouth and she gasped. "No, you can't!" She tried to stop him as he reached for the matching button of his other cuff, but he tore it from his sleeve and pressed it into her tiny hand.
"Down with tyranny and oppression," he whispered into her ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment