Saturday, October 21, 2017

294. Wonder Women

I am a recent convert to Wonder Woman. I fully admit that until the recent film I knew next to nothing about her. My only knowledge was that she has black hair and wears a scant amount of clothing. But I enjoy superhero movies and had heard good things about this one so I saw it and fell in love. This is a woman I want my daughter to admire. She embodies love and goodness and kindness, and THAT is what drives her. She fights for goodness and love, not revenge or justice. She is bold and fierce and strong. She is intelligent and curious and clever and responsible.
As Halloween approaches this year I have noticed an abundance of female superhero costumes. Most are the pink girly versions of male superheroes, but not Wonder Woman. She is her own stalwart lady. Last night I overheard a conversation between a mother and daughter in which the mother tried to convince her child to pick a different costume (I had just managed to snag the very last Wonder Woman costume for Janie) and the daughter told her “Batgirl is lame and Supergirl isn’t as strong as Wonder Woman.”
So I look at my daughter, who loves all things princess and sparkles and fairies and happily ever after, and it delights me that she chose to dress up as this mighty warrior this year. This is a role model that I can get behind. She stands up for herself, she knows what she wants and works to get it, and still makes sure to find love and joy in her world.

No comments:

Post a Comment