Thursday, October 5, 2017

278. Forgiveness

I was listening to the radio while driving and a song came on that I’ve heard pieces of over the last week but never really listened to. This time, as I only had one child in the car and he was happily quiet, I was able to listen to the words. 
It was very emotional to me—a song about a woman realizing her strength after leaving an abusive relationship. But then, just when I thought “wow, this is strong. Good for her” she sang out “but some things only God can forgive.”
I was hurt. Hurt for her. Hurt for me. Hurt for any person who has been abused, whether physically or emotionally. Forgiveness is an immense gift, probably even more so for the giver than the receiver. Holding on to that anger and pain can not help anyone to truly break free of the bonds of abuse. That hate and fear stunts. I know that it is hard to forgive, but that freedom that forgiveness provides is beautiful. 
Two weeks ago my sister showed me a video of a concentration camp survivor talking about forgiving one of the men who worked at the camp. For her, like many, the idea and effort of forgiving her tormentor, was painful. But once she was able to release that anger, she, herself, felt free. She, after nearly fifty years, was no longer a slave to that trial. 
This past weekend I heard about a man whose four year old son was killed when hit by a car. The driver was a neighbor, a teenage boy. But instead of letting their sorrow overwhelm them, they forgave this boy. They were comforted because they refused to hold on to that anger. Instead of hard feelings, a loving friendship was formed. They later attended his graduation and his wedding. With Gods help, their ability to forgive created something beautiful for them, and created safety for this boy. 

With these two brilliant examples in my mind, I listened to this singer and wished she knew. I wished she could see how much stronger and braver she could be. I wished she could feel that freedom, that lightness, of forgiveness. Because there is nothing that ONLY God can forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment