Friday, May 26, 2017

146. Jessa And The Beanstalk (11)

"Why are you following me?" I yelled at him. "How could you do this?"

Walter put his hands up in the air, warding off my temper. "Calm down, Jess! I was curious. I just wanted to know where you disappear to all the time. You don't have to get mad at me." 

But I was mad. I was furious. My cloud kingdom was my life and he had made it disappear. I didn't know how the magic worked. Was it gone forever? Could I plant another? I began to scramble at the dirt, determined to find the other brand and create a new pathway to the sky. 

"Jessa, what is going on? What you doing? Look at me!" He yelled. I hadn't realized he had approached me until he grabbed my hand pulled me toward him. But I didn't look at him. As soon as I looked up I cried out with joy, for my beanstalk was back. Right behind him. Right where it was supposed to be.

Walter cocked an eyebrow at me like I was crazy. I probably seemed like it. Yelling and weeping one moment and crying out exultantly the next. But I didn't care. It was back. I was not cut off from my joy. 

Unable to contain my relief, I wrapped Walter in an ecstatic hug. "Oh Walter, isn't it beautiful?" I cried. He looked over his shoulder, but clearly had no idea what I was talking about.

"Umm...are you feeling well?" He asked me uncertainly, putting his hand to my forehead. 

I laughed again and told him I had never been happier. But I was also curious. I wanted to know how the magic of the beanstalk worked. I had never shared my treasured sky-ladder and so never thought how it might react to another person. I knew no one could see it from afar, but now I began to question the workings of the magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment