Friday, April 14, 2017

104. For Grandpa Bob

Today is Good Friday, the day on which we commemorate the death of Jesus Christ. It seems oddly fitting, comforting even, that today one of the most Christ-like people I know passed away. 
My Grandpa Bob, my mom's dad, died this evening. All of my life, Grandpa has been solid influence and example of Christ-like love. As a child I looked forward to our family reunions that he presided over. Every two years all of his progeny gathered together to celebrate our love for each other. Grandpa loved nature, God's masterpiece, and so the reunions always seemed to focus on the outdoors. I remember seeing the Redwoods, going to the beach, Yellowstone, staying in mountain cabins, playing on lakes, swimming, boating, hiking, fishing. 
Grandpa led our family is loving Christ. Without fail, one of the days of our weeklong trip, all of the adults would go do work at the temple. There would always be a family testimony meeting where we shared our love and experiences of Christ. He led us in song, always praising Christ through hymns. 
Grandpa served. Throughout his life, Grandpa was helping people. He served those in his ward, in his family, in his neighborhood. He served in the temple often, and he served a mission with my grandma. 
Grandpa blessed the lives of everyone he met. Grandpa was devoted to Grandma. He was always thinking of her first. When his own mother was near the end of her life, he took her into his home, providing and caring for her until the end. He provided housing for several of his children and grandchildren throughout the years when they were unable to make ends meet. When his grandchildren started college, he hosted a monthly grandchildren dinner. 
Grandpa loved. Perhaps the two most poignant memories I have of Grandpa involve the love I felt after doing wrong. The first was when I was young, probably between 7 and 10 years old, but I don't remember exactly when it happened. We were at his home having lunch and he was pouring drinks for everyone. When I asked what it was, he told me it was white grape juice. Growing up poor, I didn't know that was actually a thing. My dad had tried "tricking" me with the same title applied to water. I was bothered that Grandpa, whom I had always seen as perfect, would try to pull one over on me. So I called him a liar. I was angry and hurt and let him know it. Instead of getting mad at me he just laughed and told me to try it. When I did and realized it was not, in fact, water, I was ashamed. Instead of pointing out my flaw, he simply gave me a hug. 
The second instance was in my rebellious teenage years. I was being a dumb teenager and my parents were worried. I assume that at some point my parents asked him for advice. Grandpa sent me a letter in which he told me how much he loved me, how much my parents loved me, and how much God loved me. Though I wasn't sure how, I knew he must be right, because Grandpa never lied. It was comforting to know that though I was struggling, if Grandpa still loved me, perhaps I was still worth something. 
I love my Grandpa, and that won't end now that he is gone. He will always be in my life because of the person he was when he lived. 
I am grateful to know that he is with Christ now. Because of Jesus' death which we honor today and His resurrection which we will celebrate on Sunday, I know that I will get to see Grandpa again. I know he will live again just as Christ lives again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment