Tuesday, April 11, 2017

101. Sibling Love

I've been frustrated lately by an increase in fighting between my two older kids lately. It seems every hour there is some debate that ends in one or both of them in tears. 
But today I found reassurance that they do, indeed, still love each other very much, despite all the fighting. We've been playing outside for about the last hour. They've played nicely for some of that time, riding bikes, picking flowers, and fighting with sticks. There were plenty of squabbles and yelling. I was frustrated. When it started sprinkling, Berto, Thomas and I moved into the garage but Janie wanted to play in the rain. 
She ran upstairs to get her raincoat and umbrella. While she was gone, the drizzle became a downpour. It was then that Thomas realized Janie's bicycle was still on the driveway. And that's when I knew that, even though they fight, the love is still very much there. Thomas, worried for his sister's happiness, ran out into the downpour to bring her back to safety. He struggled with the bike, tripping and dropping it a few times, but he persevered. By the time he made it back into the garage, he was soaked through, but he was smiling. 
Watching him sacrifice his comfort for his sister, I felt my burden lighten. I know that we'll get through the fighting eventually. At the end of the day, they're siblings and their love will see them through.


No comments:

Post a Comment