Sunday, March 26, 2017

85. I am Benjamin.

I am Benjamin.

I am a direct descendant of our great father Lehi. I was once the king of all the Nephites as were my father's before me. All of my life I have dedicated my days to learning how to lead my people. But now I have passed that mantle to my son. He has learned well. He is ready for this life: he will step into the shoes of the Nephis before us and lead our people through peace or war, feast or famine. And I? What shall I do now? 
I can no longer urge the cattle on. I can no longer bend the plant the seed or swing the reaping sickle. I cannot watch for the advancing enemy or blow the warning horn. 
But I am not without a purpose. The little ones are growing. My steady Mosiah's young boys must follow in his path. Some day he will become like me, old and withered, and little Ammon will take his place. Though he is yet small, he will become mighty in time. Even now his little body holds a ferocious spirit. That will lead him to greatness, if he will let it. And so I will spend my remaining time teaching what I can to my young grandsons in the hopes that they will grow together to support each other and this people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment