Friday, March 3, 2017

62.Jessa and the Beanstalk

We all know how Jack found his way into the kingdom in the sky, but do you know the giants got there? I do.

I'm Jessa. I was once a poor farm girl, similar to Jack. I worked from morning until night to help my mother and father feed our family. There wasn't much to live off of, and, like Jack, I yearned for adventure. So when I ran across a weird old man who asked for my three-legged stool in exchange for five magic beans, I made the trade. 
I didn't want my big brother Marcus to steal my treasure, so I ran through our fields until I was sure that I was alone. There was a giant rock just on the other side of our fields that I liked to sit on sometimes when I wanted to be by myself. The weird man hadn't told me what magic the beans held, so I wrapped four beans tightly in a piece of fabric that I ripped off my dress and I hid them under the rock. The fifth bean I planted. 

The next morning I ran back out to my rock and found a giant beanstalk had sprung up overnight! It was huge! I couldn't even see the top, it was so tall. Of course, I had to climb it. It was as if it was made for me to climb. Tendrils lay exactly where my feet needed to land. Up up up I went until I could no longer see our farmhouse. Up up up I went further, into the clouds. The clouds were cold and wet. It grew dark. I couldn't see, but I could still feel the beanstalk beneath my fingers, against my toes. So I kept climbing. 
Finally, the darkness dispersed and I popped through the top of the clouds. All was white.

No comments:

Post a Comment