Tuesday, December 22, 2015

356. Tenth Day of Christmas

Oh how is this strange thing to come to pass?
This woman whom I've found myself betrothed
Is found with child but never was a lass
So pure as she and never was she loathed.
Yet here she is, her belly round and wide.
A growing babe is there within her womb.
We have not come together side by side.
It is my right to send her to her tomb.
But this is Mary! Hearken, oh my heart. 
She says she's known no man. Can this be true?
If she has spoken truth, what is my part?
To raise the Son of God, what can I do?
What will the village think if we are wed?
How can I take this woman to my bed?

An angel of the lord has come. He told me that Mary is true. 
His message spake truth to my soul. Can I ignore these great words? 
No, Mary and I shall be married. We will raise up God's son.

Mary, my love, I believe you.
An angel came in the night.
He told me I must never leave you.
We will bring the world this light.
Let no others say you slighted.
I'm here for you, here at your side.
Let no others say we are blighted.
We will follow the Lord as our guide.

My wife
Her child
The son of the almighty God
This is how we start our family
A carpenter, I?
How shall I teach Him?
What can He learn?

Justice, they call
Only her fall
Safety can I give
Edges of stones
Pelting her bones
Her life she must live

Honor. Humility. Honesty. Hope. Husband.

The baby is coming
There's no room to stay
What place can there be
For our baby to lay?

Kind. Wise. Care.

Protect him I must
From death into dust

Weariness and pain
He helped deliver the Son
The second father

No comments:

Post a Comment