Thursday, September 21, 2017

264. Downpour

Sometimes you wake up full of good intentions and the day just laughs in your face before punching you in the gut...figuratively, of course. 

See, today I intended to run three miles, lift some weights, take my son to piano lessons, cook a yummy pasta salad for lunch, wash the dishes that I neglected to do last night, read while my boys napped, prepare a yummy dinner, and clean my living room.

Instead I have sopped up gallons of water with every single bath towel I own, hung them out to dry on the back fence, subsequently removed them all from the back fence and dumped them in a bucket because of the impending rainstorm, moved every un-shelved item out of the game closet, taken pictures and videos of the water underneath our floorboards, documented the water damage on six walls, shoved my rug, lovesac, and couches away from the affected walls, allowed my son to watch three movies (so far), cuddled my sick baby, helped the cleanup company lady with questions about her assessment, changed the smelliest diaper said baby has produced in months then washed my hands with a water bottle (yay for being overprepared for Harvey), munched on leftovers, pinned some sewing, watched tv while snuggling my sick baby to sleep, answered the insurance lady's assessment questions, and called a plumber.

But, on the bright side, I did clean the floor under the fridge like I've been meaning to do for the last few months. Gold star!


In all seriousness, though, as unexpected and inconvenient today's water leakage has been, I am grateful. 

-The location of our leak is such that nothing personal was damaged. Floors, cupboards, and walls are easily replaced. 

-My husband is not away on business, and though he has spent most of the day at work, he was home when we discovered the problem and was able to get the ball rolling on cleaning up the damage. 

-We have insurance that covers this kind of situation.

-We are financially stable and will be able to pay for our portion of this without any financial strain.

-My five year old was at school. 

-My three-year-old is so shy of strangers that, rather than get in the way or spread the mess, he spent the whole time the assessor was here firmly planted on the pit-of-the-way lovesac. 

-Because my baby is sick, he was napping for almost the whole time the assessor was here and spent the rest of the time snuggling in my arms or sitting in his high chair.

-My boys are very good nappers which has kept them away from the mess for several hours.

-This leak occurred long enough after Hurricane Harvey that the insurance company cannot claim the storm as the (not-covered) cause.


We have been blessed in this inconvenience. I'm sure the next week will reveal more trials, but for now I will simply try to keep a smile and laugh at the absurdities of trials that come in waves.


No comments:

Post a Comment