Thursday, May 25, 2017

145. Jessa and the Beanstalk (10)

I knew I couldn't climb fast enough to get out of sight, so I hid myself behind the giant beanstalk. It was huge, definitely wide enough to hide my skinny frame. I crouched low, next to the boulder that hid my extra beans, and waited for the intruder to pass. He didn't.

"What are you doing, Jessa?" I heard Walter's voice and crouched lower. "Closing your eyes isn't going to make me go away." How did he know I had just closed my eyes? He was nothing special, surely. I stood slowly and waited for another signal, still not coming out from my hiding spot. "You're just going to ignore me? Pretend I'm not here? I know I'm not as handsome as Wesley, but geez, you don't have to look right through me."

"You can see me?" I asked quietly.

He scoffed. "I'm not blind."

I couldn't believe it. Standing between us was a plant so wide around that we couldn't touch fingers if we both tried to hug it, and yet, he could see right through it. He could see me, but I could not see him. How was it possible? 

I put my hand gingerly onto the beanstalk, afraid it might only be in my imagination. Surely I wasn't crazy. I had climbed this time and time again. It was solid under my palm, smooth to my fingertips, the winding tendrils tickling my outstretched arm. It was real.

Then suddenly it vanished and Walter was in its place, edging toward me like I was insane. Surprised by his sudden appearance, I let out a small scream, enough to halt his steps.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Jessa. What are you staring at?" He reached for my still outstretched hand, turning my palm upward so he could study it.

"But...you just..." I couldn't make out a clear sentence, I was so angry. He just destroyed my pathway to freedom. It was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment