Monday, May 8, 2017

128. Jessa And The Beanstalk (8)

The clouds had been gathering all morning and I was waiting, watching for the moment my exit from my earth-bound drudgery would rise. I sketched lazily in the dirt at my feet, toying with the design of a new waterfall I was hoping to create, and listening to the shrill chatter of the ignorant children surrounding me. Their lives were desperately boring. Lucy and Emma quarreled of a skipping rope. Gerald bragged about his huge heifer that had won at the county fair. I smiled to myself. Anyone could feed a cow. But only I could create one. And I would. I dragged my stick around the pebbles, shaping a cow the size of a house. Gerald's heifer would faint at the sight of mine.

I blinked, and there it was: my beanstalk, a beacon of freedom shining only for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment