Tuesday, March 7, 2017

66. How I Met Your Father

I often hear the question "how did you and your husband meet?" The boring answer is "we worked together" but I prefer "my great-grandfather pushed him down the stairs." Sure, that's not exactly PROVEN, but I'm sure he was involved.
In college I worked as a custodian in the campus administration building. Jay worked a similar job, but in a different building. His job was mainly to move pianos and chairs to turn classrooms into church rooms and back again over the weekends. The building he worked in is named after my great-grandfather (whom Thomas is named after). At the end of his shift one evening, Jay was racing down the steps in this building and lost his balance (or was pushed by the ghost of my grandfather). He tried to jump the remainder of the staircase but was unsuccessful. Upon landing. He broke his ankle.
One cannot push pianos on a broken ankle. After a couple weeks of paid leave, the head of the campus custodial department wanted to get Jay working again, so he called around to various area supervisors to see if anyone had some work a cripple could perform. Lucky for us, my boss knew just how to occupy an immobile employee. She had, after all, had one such worker only a few months prior when one of her own had injured her knee playing night games and could barely walk for a few days (guilty!). And so she hired on the gimp.
The rest, as they say, is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment