Sunday, March 5, 2017

64. I am Orihah.

I am Orihah.

I was born across the sea. When I was a boy my family sailed from our homeland. Moon after moon after moon waxed and waned and still we sailed. The boats were small, warm, and cramped. The waves tossed us about. 
When we finally found land again, I became ill and weak. My body had grown used to the movement of the ocean waves. Without it, my muscles dwindled. My illness kept me from running with my brothers, from farming with my brothers, from growing with my brothers. 
Instead, I kept with the Elders, the ancient, the infirm and the weak. At first I resented my brothers and cousins. I wanted to play with them. I wanted to build our new home and participate as the other boys did. 
For a while I battled my inner demons. I hated myself and my body. I sunk into the nightmares that plagued me. Perhaps I would have succumbed to my nightmares had it not been for Malachi. 
Malachi was the oldest of the Elders. He was truly ancient, past the age when death should have met him. I sat with him many days. Malachi taught me the history of our people. He taught me to read. He taught me to write. He taught me to study the languages of our former home. I learned to account for the wares and stores of our village. I learned the laws of our governance. 
Malachi ensured that my interests were always awarded. If I asked a question, he had an answer or directed me toward it myself. 
My nightmares abated. Where my body would not perform, my mind excelled. I hungered for knowledge, and Malachi spread a feast.
Upon his death, Malachi requested that I continue my quest for knowledge. I would have done so even without my oath to him. I quickly read everything we had brought with us from our homeland. All the knowledge that our people had, I consumed. What we didn't know, I intended to discover.
I was once ashamed of my weakened body. Now, I know it is a blessing for God. My father and uncle are dying. They have led our family since our sojourn began. The people demand a king. Father tried to dissuade them, but they insist. The position has fallen to me. None of my brothers or cousins wants the responsibility. I do not want it. The rule of an evil king is why we were forced to leave all those years ago. But perhaps this is why God allowed my body to deteriorate. Perhaps he knew the only way I would be prepared as I am is by being limited. And so, I will accept the people's demand. Perhaps I may be able to form the government the people need through this role. 
I am ready.
I am King Orihah.

No comments:

Post a Comment