Friday, November 27, 2015

331. Caroline and Elizabeth

"Did you hear about the balls?"
"What balls?"
"The King is giving a festival! Three days and nights. There will be tournaments and games and food and all sorts of activities during the day and then a ball each night!"
"So?"
"So? So, isn't that exciting? I can't wait! Mother says we can go! She's going to make each of us a new gown for the balls. Mine's going to be pink. What color do you want? Mind you, it's only a preference. It all depends on what Mother can find. But there's no harm in asking, is there?"
"I don't want one."
"Of course you do! You've grown nearly four inches since last summer. All of your good dresses are too short. And you can't wear anything patchy or extended."
"I'm not going."
"Prince Edmond will be there! We have to look out best! I know he'll never ask one of us to dance, but I would be so ashamed if he were to even look in my direction if I didn't look absolutely beautiful. That's why I'm hoping Mother can find pink. I look radiant in pink. I think you should ask for blue. It brings out your eyes."
"No one would be looking at my eyes, Carly."
"It's a masked ball, silly! No one's going to see your face. You can cover up the scarring with a something stunning!"
"I'm not going."
"Well, why not?"
"I don't belong in society anymore. You know that. No one wants to be associated with someone who looks like me."
"I do."
"You're my sister. You don't have a choice."
"Sure I do. I could be at the palace right now with the other ladies. I could be riding with Henry or hunting with George. But I'm not. I'm here with you. Just like I was yesterday and the day before and the day before that."
"Then go."
"With you sitting around moping like this? No. You have to get out again. It's been months since that fire Bethy. It's time to face the world again."
"I can't."
"Yes, you can. And you should. Percy asked me today if you would come. He asks about you a lot. He misses you."
"I know."
"You shouldn't push him away, you know.  He loves you."
"He deserves better."
"Better than you?"
"He deserves someone presentable. Someone he can take to parties at the palace."
"He wants to take you to the palace!"
"He'd be ridiculed. I won't let that happen."
"He doesn't care what people think. He doesn't care about your face. Nobody cares about your stupid face."
"Yes, they do. They stare. I can see them whispering behind their hands. 'Look at the freak with the melted face,' remember? I'm just a joke, now."
"Lizzie Cartwright is not everybody. I know she's a pain and a gossip, but no one takes anything she says seriously. You're going to let her stupid comments ruin your life? You're going to let her come between you and the man you love? The court you love? The future you and Percy have been planning for years?"
"No?"
"Then go to the festival with me!"
"I can't."
"Beth, this is your chance to have fun again! It's time to move forward. Start small. Just come to ball the first night. You can keep your mask on the whole time. You'll see what I mean. If anyone is talking about you anymore it's because they miss you. Apologize to Percy. He'll understand. He wants to see you."
"Carly..."
"Please, please, please come with me!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment