Thursday, January 15, 2015

15. The Queen

"Edmond? Are you alright? Albert said you wanted to speak with me." The queen shut the door behind her as she entered the small library. "Why aren't you out there dancing with the others?" She put her hand gently on his shoulder when he didn't answer. "What is it?"
The prince turned toward her and licked his lips."I'm not going to marry Gianette," he replied simply.
Confused, she sat down slowly across from him and watched as he chose his words. She sat silently, waiting for him to continue.
"You know as well as I do that she's not a good match for me. Not as a queen and not as a wife." He paused, waiting for some kind of sign from his bother but she revealed nothing so he continued. "I know I agreed to marry before the year is over. I intend to honor that agreement. But it won't be Gianette."
"You've found someone here at these balls? Someone who will make you happy? Someone who will help you lead your kingdom into a better future?"
He nodded solemnly.
"And it's not Gianette?"
"No."
"Gianette is beautiful. She'll bring a handsome dowry to your treasury. Your marriage could help forge a stronger alliance with her father. You've known her since before you could walk."
"I am not marrying Gianette."
"You're sure?"
"I am."
The queen let out a gust of breath and stood, laughing as she hugged her son. "Well, I, for one, am glad to hear it."
Edmond was stunned. He blinked and sputtered, "you are?" 
She laughed at his surprise and patted his cheek. "I can't stand her. And I never thought she was good enough for you. But then a mother never does think anyone is good enough to marry her boy. But tell me, who is this girl whom you seem to think is good enough? Do we know her parents? Is she of royal birth?" She stopped, confused by his sudden reticence. "What is it?"
He shuffled his feet, obviously uncomfortable.
"Edmond?"
"I...I don't know who she is," he answered awkwardly.
The queen eyed him flatly. "Excuse me?"


No comments:

Post a Comment