Tuesday, October 24, 2017

297. A Dinner Bust

Some days you just fail with dinner. It happens far too often. One kid randomly decides he hates his favorite food. Another kid thinks her food would do better as wardrobe. It happens.
But then there are the bust days.
Oh, the bust dinners. When no one is satisfied. Those are the days that make a mother want to quit her kitchen forever. Today was a bust day.
I should have given up after the second, unsuccessful, hour-long shopping trip to find the rice paper spring roll wrappers. But I didn’t. I persevered and visited a third store, spent another half-hour searching, thinking my family would surely value my effort when I presented their delicious dinner. Ha. I stuck to it and found my ingredients. Fast forward to almost-dinnertime.
Janie was jumping up and down next to me as I prepared dinner, exceedingly excited to try this new dish. She wanted so badly to help, but the fragility of the wrappers and my patience prevented her assistance. She helped set the table instead. When all we finally ready, the food was blessed and she anxiously took her first bite. Her smile immediately vanished. To her credit she never once grimaced, complained, or asked for something else to eat. She soldiered through about half her plate before finally asking if she could finish it for breakfast (our way of asking if she could be done).
Thomas took a few bites, then asked for soy sauce. And more soy sauce. And more soy sauce. He was never satisfied. He finished about a third of his plate before he tried to leave the table.
Berto simply threw his food on the floor. I think he may have eaten a single cucumber stick.
Jay and I both ate two of the rolls, though without much gusto.

I ended up making kraft macaroni and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment