Thursday, August 24, 2017

236. Preparation

Tomorrow we are supposed to be hit with "the biggest American hurricane in over a decade." Many are panicking. I hear the shelves at the stores are empty. No bottled water can be found. Gas stations are turning away cars in need of fuel. And yet I find my only concern is that my gym may be closed tomorrow. 

Why am I not madly dashing around to find the necessary goods for a possible natural disaster? Because I have listened to the council of the Lord's servants. Like the five wise virgins, I have filled my figurative lamps and prepared a reserve. I have held this reserve, untouched, for many months now. And though these supplies have sat unused for some time, what they have bought me is calm. In this time of anxiety and fear, I feel only ease. I have been asked several times throughout the day if we need anything, if we are ready, if we were able to find water. My recently acquired anxiety should be screaming at me right now, but it's not. 

Perhaps this calm, more than anything, is why we are urged to be prepared. Yes, there is safety in preparation: but there is also sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment