Saturday, July 1, 2017

182. Gateway Arch

Some things are better enjoyed from below rather than above. Today's example: The Gateway Arch. I visited today for the first time. I did pass near enough to see it once on a journey across the country, but I won't count that as my sight of it lasted less than a minute. So today was my first time, and let me tell you, Gateway Arch is a beautiful, impressive monument. 

I have seen many tall structures. I have seen many large structures. I have seen thin and delicate structures. But the combination of the immense height, wide range, and fine figure make this a wondrous sight to behold. 

Perhaps because my husband is a civil engineer, I have picked up an appreciation and broad understanding of the intricacies that creating such a monumental piece would necessarily require. But I would like to think that this fear of engineering is appreciated by the wider masses as well. The simplicity attributed to this remarkable space only adds to its beauty. The unadorned, unmarried facade of the structure creates a sleek and surreal surface that serves to reflect the light and natural beauty that surrounds it. The gentle shift of the walls' angles creates a flowing rhythm that draws the viewers gaze skyward. Odd as it may sound, this man-made mammoth seems as if it is simply a solidified piece of the river it abuts, rising from its banks to greet those passing into the west.

It's awe-inspiring.

Unfortunately, the I cannot say the same for the apex tour. I am glad I went, because it was interesting to see the inner workings of this great monument, and because my children found me so much excitement in it. But I was disappointed. Even though I feel great anxiety when at unnatural heights, I looked forward to this particular occasion. I thought, surely, that something this wonderful could only inspire greater joy from its peak. But the view was underwhelming. The windows are, of engineering necessity, disappointingly small. Because of this, only a fragment of the immense view I was expecting is available at any given time. Yes, you can see a great expanse, if you lean awkwardly onto a leaning wall, crane your neck in an uncomfortable angle, and don't get elbowed or stepped on by another eager tourist in the rather confined space.

The journey skyward felt like something out of a space novel, but the part that made you glad you live on earth. I don't think Shaq would fit into the tram. 

But, all that being said, if you've never been to Gateway Arch, go. If you've never been to the top, try it. Perhaps you will see something I didn't. And may you feel the awe and majesty of this behemoth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment