Tuesday, February 17, 2015

48. The Pageboy

No one notices the servant. I stand there every day, but to them I am invisible. I am deaf. I am blind. I am there when they need me -- a message to send, an errand to run, a platter to carry -- but I don't exist if they don't want me to. 
Some people would say this is a lonely way to live, but I say it is the only way. I am rarely asked to give my opinion. I am not forced to make polite conversation with those I dislike. I cannot be embarrassed because I cannot fail. If I speak, it is with the words of another. But I listen for myself. And because I am invisible, I hear everything.
I know the king is ill.
I know there is only one assured heir to the throne.
I know there is war brewing to claim that throne.
And I know the only ones who know the throne is in jeopardy are the royal family, the physician, and me.
A secret is a great burden to carry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment