Sunday, September 17, 2017

260. "Ah, You Made It Through."

"Ah, you made it through."


That's what the Apostle of the Lord said to me after church today. "Ah, you made it through." I laughed it off and agreed that yes, I had survived the meeting with my three little ones acting as if they'd never heard the word "reverent" in their life. But inwardly I was embarrassed. Embarrassed at my children's behavior. Embarrassed at my lack of parenting skills. Embarrassed that that they had been anything but perfect angels while sitting on the second row from the front, directly in front of an apostle. 

I laughed it off because he was trying to be kind, but inwardly I was frustrated with my kids and I wanted to cry. They know how to behave and they chose this day, this moment, to ignore those lessons. Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad if we had been several rows back, or if we had been on one of the sides. But, no, we were front and center. "The best seat possible" my husband had said. 

When discussing the experience with my mom, she responded much as the apostle had, with a smile and a laugh. "He's been there before. He understands. He's not going to judge you, and he probably won't even remember it."

It's been several hours now, but I'm finally feeling the frustration ebb -- it helps that the culprits are in bed -- and feeling some peace about the whole thing. 

Despite my initial feelings, this servant of the Lord, Elder Ballard, said something to me personally that I really needed to hear. "Ah, you made it through." Our exchange lasted maybe ten seconds total, but I don't think it is one I will forget. For an hour he sat on the stand, and though I don't flatter myself that he spent even a tenth of his time watching my family, I know that he saw us. He couldn't not have, and at one particular moment he looked me in the eye and held my gaze for several seconds while he spoke. So when he said "Ah, you made it through," he wasn't speaking a random sentence to a random mother of a random child. He knew I had been struggling. And he was acknowledging my efforts, pitiful as they were. He knew what I was feeling and he let me know it was okay. 

Some days making it through is all we can do. We may not always come away knowing what every talk was about, but we are setting an example for our children, showing them the importance of the sacrament and church attendance. 

In time they will learn to be better behaved. They will grow and learn and sit still. In time I will be more composed, less climbed-on, more focused. But for now I will take it one meeting at a time, one Sunday at I time. I will make it through.

2 comments:

  1. Yes you will make it through, and your kids will actually learn to be reverent, and they will learn to love coming to church. Bless you for continuing the fight! It IS TOTALLY worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a parallel experience once. I was horrified! I'm glad you can write about it. I was so humiliated, I haven't shared it with anyone. Now that I'm on the Grandma side of life, I can identify with Elder Ballard, and congratulate you that you made it. ��

    ReplyDelete