Monday, July 6, 2015

187. A Giggle, A Bonk, and A Song

Thomas giggles as he zooms down the stairs, his belly bumping each step as he slides. Janey chases after him, "Go, Thomas. Go!" Laughing, she jumps the final step. I descend at a much milder pace, exhausted from days of being ill. They reach the bottom and are out of sight before I found the turn of the staircase. It's not long before I hear the inevitable smack of baby skull against furniture. Learning to walk is hard enough without your three-year-old sister pulling you along at her accelerated pace. Thomas cries as I expect. This thunk was harder than usual. I pick up my speed, but I am not fast enough to be the hero this time. I am serenaded (if you're a mother of more than one you understand why I choose this word) by Janey's words. "Oh, no, Thomas. Thomas broke (Janey-speak for bonked) his head. It's okay, Thomas." I hear her giving him kisses and round the last corner in time to see her hugging his head. Thomas stops crying and gives his rescuer the smile she deserves. "Are you okay?" She asks. He responds with his monosyllabic word-for-all-words, "Ah." Janey waits for Thomas to right himself, grabs his hand, and slowly (impressively slowly for my energetic daughter) leads him to his favorite ball. I'm pretty sure the angels are singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment